on 12/02/01 13:41, mkaysen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Good Day!!
>
> Hello and thanks to all from a long time lurker on this list!! I have
> been a part of this list for 6-8 months and have enjoyed the exchanges
> and the info posted. You all have saved me many hours and much research
> when trouble shooting these little machines we have all become enamored
> with. This list is indispensable to anyone with a Duo and you have all
> been quite generous with your support, experiences and insight. I will
> make an attempt to be somewhat more involved in the future.
>
> I now am faced with a problem that I think will be best solved by your
> collective knowledge and humbly ask for your input. Have any of you
> actually used an Asante Mini EN/SC with your Duos and successfully
> accessed an ether network with such a setup? I have a Duo 280c w/ 40 mb
> ram running OS 8.1, Open Transport 1.3. I can get the Duo to recognize
> the adapter and the adapter to get a signal from the network but, I
> cannot get the Duo to see the network. Specifically, if you have used
> this device successfully, I would ask the following:
>
> 1. What system software are you using?
> 2. Are you using Open Transport or Classic Networking?
> 3. If you are using OT, what version?
> 4. Which ethernet extensions do you have enabled in your extensions
> folder?
> 5. Are there any oddities with your TCP/IP settings.

I did use both a Mini and a Micro EN/SC, with a 280c running 8.1 and a 2300c
running 8.6. Both were using OpenTransport. I don't recall which version of
OpenTranspart, except it was the version coming with the specific version of
the OS. The only extension that was specific to Ethernet that I had to
enable was the one from Asante. That extension was used by the TCP/IP
control panel to select the EN/SC, and also by the AppleTalk control panel.
I've never tried classic networking (AKA MacTPC). Never had a problem,
except with AppleTalk that would give me a problem when the computer would
go to sleep.

So, you're running 8.1 with OpenTransport? You should be set, except if you
didn't install the Asante extension that will let you select the EN/SC in
the TCP/IP and AppleTalk control panels. That's the only thing I see that
could possibly be your problem. You have plenty or RAM, the right system
software, so I only see the AppleTalk extension missing.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]