Hi all,
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Netscape (most if not
all versions) is faster if you turn the disk cache OFF by reducing its
size to 0. I have measured "before and after" on many occasions and the
cache always slows it down. The only way I can see that the Netscape
disk cache might be an advantage would be if you had a slow modem and
spent most of your browsing going to the same websites. But my
experience doesn't even show an improvement in that scenario.

My thinking is this... with the cache enabled, the computer has to look
on the disk for every image or other "cacheable" item that comes in.
This takes time. Also, the computer has to write a copy, to the cache
file, of every cacheable item that comes in, even though much of it will
never be used again ( I'm not going to that website again or will have
changed by the next time I go there). This takes time. Another side
benefit of having NO browser disk cache is that you don't have to listen
to the disk clicking and clunking so busily. Netscape keeps a lot of
stuff in RAM cache (very fast) such that using the Back or Forward
button is not enhanced using the disk cache.

I am curious to know of other peoples experience and opinion on this
subject. Hope I am not too far off topic!
Greg