On 5/2/01 11:02, Glenn R. Fong at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote;

> I'm happy to say that I've put in my order for the new iBook -- maxed out
> 256MB/20GB/DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo.  It's not the ideal replacement for my
> PB2400/180MHz/80MB/6GB, but it's close enough -- perhaps as close as Apple
> will get to a replacing our subnotebooks.

Hate to say it Glen, but you probably got a bad deal on the RAM.  I make a
point of ordering base RAM in computers from the Apple Store because it's so
darn expensive when you buy it from them.  RAM is dirt cheap right now and
any reputable manufacturer (Crucial, Kensington) will replace it if it's bad
(a la Firmware Updates).

Since the iB2 only has one RAM slot, you might as well get a 512MB stick.
The spec sheet says that the iB2 has "128MB of PC100 SDRAM expandable to
640MB", by way of the 512MB SO-DIMM.  (The 128MB must be in a proprietary
slot or soldered to the motherboard.)
    a)  The extra 128 MB from the Apple Store will cost you $200.
    b)  However, you can buy a 512MB stick -- that's 4x more additional
memory -- at MacSolutions.com for $345.00.

Good choice on the 20GB and the DVD/CDR combo drive -- that's just how I
would have ordered it.

Sorry to tell you this, but I think it's worth mentioning,

Shiva Mayer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>