Kate wrote:

>A local Mac retailer advised me that the 80MB ram on the 2400c I have
>here is only virtual memory.

And after that did he tell you how much physical RAM you have or just
leave you hanging? If you don't know, when you're in the Finder go to the
AppleMenu and choose "About this computer/About this Mac" (depends
on what version of the OS you have) and read the number for "built in
memory."

> For that reason he did not recommend utility/antivirus software unless
>there were a problem. He said for an older OS there's even less a chance
>than usual for a Mac to be infected with a virus. He wasn't familiar with
>the 2400c.

He's about half right. The antivirus program won't take up hardly any
space on your hard drive and it won't consume much memory either.
As far as relating OS version to chances of infection, that's a bit of a
stretch. Picking up a virus is more closely related to your habits (for
example, don't open attachments from unknown senders and think
twice about opening something from someone you do know). In general,
if you don't run MS Word v6 or newer / MS Excel v5 or newer, there's
not much chance of you getting a virus, as there are rather few  Mac
viruses outside of the Word/Excel macro viruses. That doesn't mean
you should be complacent, only that your statistical chances are far
lower than if you were using a peecee.

>I will go with Diskwarrior (whatever one detects the 8.6 OS), and/or
>Norton 5.03 and Virex 6.0.
>But now I'm a bit concerned about memory. There are probably many files
>I could delete to make room if necessary--like AOL for instance.
>
>Did you who have installed utilities have to delete files to make room?

Memory and hard drive space are two different things (except virtual
memory tends to blur the distinction). By all means, install the Virex
it doesn't take up much space. And if you aren't using AOL, feel free
to trash all the AOL stuff. Deleting it will save you disk space, and some
that sits in your System Folder may save you on memory as well as disk
space (AOL instant messanger comes to mind).

As far as Disk Warrior or Norton Utilities, I'd recommend not installing
them (you may find dissenting opinions from others). When you either
have a problem or only feel like checking your 2400's  hard drive, boot
off the DW/NUM CD. If you had a problem and wanted to repair your hard
drive, you would only have to boot off the repair utility CD anyway.
Don't forget that you've got Apple's Disk First Aid for free too, it can
take care of many software related problems as well, and runs a lot
faster than most of the third party utilities. (Not that I wouldn't buy
the others - I own DW, NUM, and Tech Tool Pro).

hth,
-wayne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]