on 5/21/01 Stan Bratton [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anyone has a modem script for a Boca GV v.90 56k PC Card? Would you
> be willing to email it to me?

I only have the same "generic" Apple supplied or Boca/GC supplied scripts
for release.  However, being in a helpful mood today, I have previously
researched this subject extensively myself because I have and use a variety
of PC card modems and tested them over the lines directly at my local ISP.
So I'm happy to share some of my experiences below.

BTW, this is ANOTHER STRONG REASON why I'm so big on having the spare (or
two) PC card slots in the 2400 (missing in iB2)--the vital flexibility to
use different modems--because the best one(s) are not necessarily built in
by Apple, nor do they work necessarily the best in foreign countries. A
10-15% speed gain pays for itself fairly shortly.

At certain phone nodes I get wildly varying performances even at different
times of the day (with presumably varying traffic levels). My local ISP has
guaranteed adequate capacity (they post online statistics) and clean lines.
The modem script and firmware DO make a difference. Therefore try these
steps for modem troubleshooting:

1.  You could try the generic Hayes setting and some other seemingly
"implausible" scripts in your collection. Some of them will also surely work
(but may display erroneous connect speeds).

2.  Check to see your modem has the latest firmware update. You can access
this via zTerm (supplied with GV software) by typing a command prompt (I
forget--it's something like AT3??) and at least v3.06 GV-PC card drivers.

3.  It is not clear if the problem is only with Claris Emailer or with all
of your connections. If only in CE that's a different problem.

4.  You can try to contact Ross Barkman on the Powerlist--he is the
extremely knowledgeable resident modem guru and has free scripts on his
website. Someone else might be able to chase down his email address.

5.  Since I'm a little more fanatic about tweaking every aspect of 2400
performance, especially with the high cost (usually narrow band analog or
ISDN) European connections I have no connection to this but direct you to
this web page:

<http://www.mymac.com/walkowich/magic_4.14.01.shtml>

Review - Modem Magic 5.0  (rated 5/5) by Russ Walkowich
Contributing Editor, MyMac.com reviewed Saturday, 4/14/01

The review was interesting (as this is a geeky subject for sceptics) and
sufficiently convincing that I bought the Modem Magic package a month ago. I
have not yet had the time to exhaustively test script/modem combos (I have
about 5-6 different PC card modems including a GV 56k combo which I don't
use because of the bulky combo dongle and no need to connect to Ethernet on
the road). I've examined some of the scripts and they look good but they are
all copyrighted so not within my purview to pass them on. I will add that I
am reasonably certain they have a good chance of improving your situation
(standard disclaimer attached).

6.  There are differences in the performances of individual modems, even
from the same manufacturer. I challenged one supplier on this and they
replaced the PC card modem against a hard-to-detect 10% difference on
connect speeds.

7.  I'm highly confident (one or more of) the above will resolve your
problem. My only request is to know which one back on the list ;-).

> Several months ago I bought a "new open box" Boca GV v.90 56K PC Card
> Modem from Small Dog Electronics.  When it arrived it did not contain
> software.  When I contacted Small Dog they said they couldn't find the
> software but I could download it from the Global Village site.

It's surprising an excellent company like Small Dog sold it that way (unless
you got an unbeatable price). Also, Boca/GV used to charge for certain
software upgrades beyond certain OS versions.

> I have downloaded and installed the software,  but have continuing
> problems with connection. The problem I believe is not having the correct
> modem script.  When downloading the "latest" modem script for the V.90
> 56k PC Card modem from the Global Village site what I get is the modem
> script for GV TP k56 modem (teleport not PowerPort).  Downloading from
> the Gobal Village ftp site I get a GV k 56flex script.

Refer to above steps.

> The GV TP k56 modem script does not work and the GVk 56flex script hangs
> up and connects only about once in 8 or 9 tries when using Claris
> Emailer.

Only in Emailer?

> I've gone back to using my GV PowerPort Platinum Pro Modem/ethernet card
> which  has and continues to work flawlessly.  I would, however, like to
> be able to use V.90 56k card with Claris Emailer without repeated
> connection failures.

v.34 is practically bulletproof these days.

> I assume there is a modem script for the GV v.90 56k PC Card.  Am I
> correct?  If there is such a script and you have it would you please
> email a copy to me?  If such a script does not exist I would welcome
> advice or suggestions.  I'm out of options.

You are correct. For your direct problem, the 2001 scripts in the Modem
Magic package include (none tested by me), but it looks pretty promising
for GV:

Global Village 56K USB External
Global Village 56k_V.92
Global Village Int V.90 V.92