I finally can't stand it any more, and feel compelled to comment on several
points:

1. In a post to this list, someone who identified themselves as from MCE
did not have a problem with Calvin posting the information. MCE is
providing a SERVICE, and although they may utilize skills and techniques
that they have developed to provide that service well, the customer is
paying for the service. Given that, and the points below, I don't think any
of us should have a problem with Calvin's post either.

2. Proprietary information can be protected in several ways, legally. These
are, to my knowledge, Trade secret, copyright, trademark, and patent. A
patent doesn't apply if there has not been an application. Copyright and
trademark clearly do not apply in this case. Trade secret requires that the
method be kept secret. If someone else figures it out, there is no further
protection, unless the person figuring it out obtained the information
illegally, by breaking and entering, for example. Opening your own machine
clearly does not violate any laws, and if the modification can be figured
out by just looking inside your own property, it cannot be protected by
trade secret if someone does this.

3. I frequently pay others to do things that I could and have done myself,
either because I feel that it would not be a good use of my time (launder
and iron shirts), or because I don't feel confident about doing it (My
first duodock power supply replacement) or I feel that someone else will do
the job better and faster (auto tune-up). It seems that this is the service
that MCE is providing for those who would be interested in the information
provided by Calvin.

4. In the most extreme form, if someone used the information to set up
their own cardbus activation business, as far as I can tell, it would not
be illegal in any way. I, personally, would still choose to do business
with MCE, based on my positive past experience with the company, along with
that of others on this list. If I were very constrained by money, and the
alternative was much cheaper, I might be willing to risk it. That is part
of the free market.

DTL