>I've been managing my frustration with this, but decided it's time to
>seek the wisdom of the list...
>
>I have RoadRunner cable service, using OS 8.6 through a MacSense
>XRouter Pro purchased from ListMom, Dr. Bott.  TCP/IP has been used
>with the setting 'Load only when needed' both on and off, without any
>apparent impact on the problem.
>
>While there is not set period of time when it occurs, the server
>connection will fail regularly, i.e., Eudora, IE 5.0, Fetch, etc.
>will stall and fail to make a connection with the server.
>
>The easiest fix is to put my 2400 to sleep and immediately wake it
>up.  Everything works fine for awhile...then stalls again.
>
>I'm not sure how relevant this is, but sometimes I can get into the
>Router's Admin status page using IE and reset the IP address to get
>things going again, but most of the time, IE is stalled out and I
>can't even get to the Router's Admin page.  This page is
>hosted/populated by the router itself and doesn't involve the server
>connection at all.

Hey Ralph,

Here are a couple of things to watch out for:

TCP/IP will often pause, causing a timeout, if it is buried behind a
firewall like what is built into the Xrouter Pro (130?).  Seems
Apple's implimentation of the stack and reverse lookup is at fault,
as your system cannot do a DNS lookup beyond the router -- and hence
will time out at about 20-25 seconds.

Second, IE is HORRIBLE about releasing the cpu to do anything else
while it is attempting to make a connection.  Man, I wish they would
program some interrupts in there -- just to give the computer some
breathing room.  Try to see if the same effect occurs in Netscape
(with it's poor cache management).

Third, most cable companies have an IP timeout.  Ours is 12 hrs.
Yours may be different.  The router is polite, and will not
re-establish (reget) an IP from the cable network unless you need it
-- this takes 20 seconds or so here in Raleigh.  Then, you are good
to go until the next timeout occurs.  Maybe your cable company has a
sliding timeout -- or you have a LOT of traffic on the node they
connect you with.

I did find that 9.0.4 and 9.1 TCP/IP is more robust than earlier
implimentations, by the way (so is Open Transport).

It's not an answer, but maybe it will stress you less now.

Cheers,

paul