>... 2300 ...hard to start. 44Mb/700Mb 8.6 with SD. ... static like clicks
>using reset button, power switch, or control-command-power.

I'll venture you've got power, but a low-level problem; eg mother board
connection problem. Most bizarre start-up trouble I had with my 2300 was
due to a bad, external ADB keyboard preventing any useful startup.

>Occasional chime with no screen at all (not a grey screen- no screen
>lighting.) When I get a chime and a screen it will start and run. After
>about 10 minutes it will freeze.

Compatible with a loose connection.

>If I select restart, even while it is running normally, it will shut down
>and stay shut down- except for the hard drive. It will continue spinning.

Stumps me.

>Disk Warrior has done it's thing. I haven't succeeded in getting any hard
>drive utilities to work.

If you mean that Disk Warrior was able to run and reported nothing wrong,
that suggests an intermittent problem outside the disk.

>In SCSI dock mode it froze my 2400 when running Norton. I think it is a
>FWB disk. I also haven't re-installed either.

Anyone know if SCSI dock mode depends on a fully functioning mother board?
(IE, CPU & ROM have to start OK to run a short emulate SCSI disk program).

>...haven't done any extension work.

You've described trouble that preceeds boot-up. If extensions are causing
trouble, that's likely separate.

>did put in another PRAM battery (Batteries plus- a chain, welded the
>contacts, while I waited) but that was no help except that the mini green
>light no longer showed GLOD.

Never knowingly experienced "GLOD" on my 2300. Not sure what it signifies.

>Anyone want to direct my efforts? Hardware problem with the power
>manager? With the SCSI system? Software? (Extension issue or OS corrupt) HDD?

Myself, I'd look for a reliable clue about boot progress. Audio output is
the usual fallback. So, when you can get it started, besure to turn sound
on in the control panel. (Mine is set with sound all the way down, mute,
resulting in only a "click" or two on start-up.) This will help, if your
speaker works-- not necessarily the case if the connections are loose
(especially connections to the lid).

Step 2-- open the machine to check and re-seat all the cables.

> the machine has a trackball but ... 2300 top case with track pad won't
>fit. It interferes with the metal frame. What model frame (frame
>stiffener) does it have?

Is this a clue the machine's been in pieces and thus may have a loose
cable? In any case, I've had the stiffener vs trackpad problem. Can't
remember the frame stiffener's Duo number. I solved the problem with very
careful use of a hacksaw. (If you have doubts about this, you probably
shouldn't try it. Ironically, I later retrofitted my 2300 with a trackball.
Trackpads don't suit me well.)

>Does anyone work with the Newer 240/G3 that didn't work (the Wegener
deal) in my 2400?

Sorry... no experience with 2400.