> I've seen several references recently to trying to revive old batteries.
> My situation is that I have 2 for the Duo 210, and they only hold a charge
> for a few seconds, so I don't even try to depend on them.
> The battery indicator from the Apple menu shows charging activity until it
> stops, but even when "full" it doesn't give enough energy to rely on.

Well, in that case I would guess that your batteries are dead.

> What's the standard advice for reconditioning them?  How to do a full
> discharge so they can charge up again, and if so for how long?  I don't
> have a charging unit separate from the Duo itself.  Did I see mention of
> some recharge software?  Is it freeware/shareware?

There is programs that do almos complete discharge, but they can't do
miracles..

Another way is to do it with a suitable lamp (12V lamp is good) and voltage
meter. Just wire lamp between + and - connectors, and watch with multimeter
when voltage is approx. 1.5V you must stop discharge. Let batttery to rest a
while and repeat. But voltage must be always over 1.5V, (it should be more
than one invidual cell voltage, which is approx 1.2V, mut 1.5V is safe bet)
otherwise it will destroy one or more cells.

Now in some point you should see that battery can give more power to lamp:
first lamp dims and after a while it brightens up. After a few discharges,
recharge battery.

Repeat and see if you can get more time.

If batteries dead there is actually three alternatives: buy a new duo
battery, let some electronics store to replace cells or DIY - buy invidual
cells and replace cells by yourself.

I'm going to do the last option one myself when I find cheap NiMH cells.