NiMH batteries have a pretty predictable (and short) life cycle. With
regular use they only last about two years at the most (Li-ion batteries
seem to be much worse, lasting one year at the most). They start out
running nice and cool and running a Duo for a long time on each charge.
With time, the run-time (capacity) will start to drop and the battery
will start to become quite warm at the end of charging. Eventually this
decline quickens until the run time of the Duo becomes short (30 min
or so) and you'll notice the battery generating excessive heat during
charging. Soon after that the battery will die completely. If the
battery won't charge, won't power the Duo (or anything else), and mostly
just sits there and gets hot if you try to charge it, then it's dead.
Reconditioning is meant to clear out "memory effect" which batteries can
have if left to sit for a long time or if not discharged and charged
fully. There is no way to resurrect a dead battery. Batteries are
"consumables" and are the main cost of using a portable computer. Plan
to replace the battery every 18 - 24 months if you use the computer a
lot. I don't know how long the shelf life of a healthy, unused battery
is, but probably not more than about 4 years.

Kris Feldmann