I have a 280c and a 2300c I recently bought on ebay.  I intend to
reformat the drives and install clean copies of the os.  I intend to
use 8.1 on the 280c and either 8.6 or 9.1 on the 2300.  I have a
14.4k modem in one and the 19k modem in the other. I'm not sure I
will leave the modems the way they are or switch them.  My question
is this:  Is the modem software automatically installed in the later
operating systems, or do I need to install them separately, and if
so, are there any conflicts in either of the modem software packages
with later versions of the os?  Also, as I recall, the 19k modem is a
Teleport mercury modem, correct?  What model is the 14.4 modem?

Also, in relation to the battery charger comments, do the later
operating systems automatically install the type III battery
extension?  And also does this extension allow for the recharge of
the type IV batteries, like that used in the BTI batteries and I
believe the VST batteries or what I presume is Type IV cells for
rebuilds I have seen mentioned on this list.

Finally, are there any other extensions that really need to be
installed for use of 8.1, 8.6 and 9.1 that are not installed by the
basic installer on the generic os cds.  (I'm not talking about Speed
Doubler, but more in the nature of Apple extensions that are specific
to duos which were added after the system software was first released
or shipped with duos as separate software disks.)

I guess what I'm asking here, is after I install 8.1 on the 280c and
either 8.6 or 9.1 on the 2300, what extra stuff do I need to round up
and install.
--
John Slavin

Farr, Hickman & Slavin