List,

I have a PowerBook Duo 280c that was purchased originally in 1994.  The pram
battery is still alive and kicking within (knock on wood), even with the
280c having been a dust collector not connected to any power source for over
a year and a half.  Put the 280c back into the dock and it chimed right away
as if it hadn't ever been put on the back burner for all of that time.

My 2400c usually stays on a/c although I have had it off charge many times
while traveling.  It's vintage 1997 without pram failure (knock AGAIN on
wood).

Bob