On 4/9/02 "Andrew W. Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Worth keeping in mind that Moore's law is a general observation based on
> Intel production.  Not really a natural law, or applicable outside of
> Intel, in my viewpoint.
> Ooh hey, I could pretend to be really ignorant and start babbling about
> the Megahertz Myth :)

Moore's law is applicable in terms of processing power increase (MIPS), but
you are partly correct since PPC chip architectures are quite different from
Intel's. On Powerbooks, from mid-1999 until now, G3/G4 CPU speeds have only
gone from 400 mhz to 667 mhz. It gets much too technical to argue the point
here but let's just say a 60% increase in CPU speeds over 3 years on closely
related/integrated CPU architectures for low powered chips is a really
MISERABLE performance. Extremely pathetic--and that cannot be overstated--or
hidden by painted titanium, Aqua eye candy, or glossy white paint.

But speed is not why I stay with my 2400--and now it looks like OS X is
"playable". All-in-one SPEED IS what I'm going to want if I buy Ti. And
since I got spoiled by 250-400% speed increases with G3 upgrades for my
2400, who wants to settle for a measly 60% on Ti?