I suspect this may have something to do with the iMac
using 10/100base-T ethernet. I vaguely recall reading
somewhere that the EN/SC doesn't like 100base-T. My
own experience is that I can connect fine to my
platinum G3 or WallStreet (which are both 10base-T)
using a crossover cable, but not through my 10/100
switch. Actually, I guess the problem is with the
EN/SC not being able to be recognized as a 10base-T
device by the switch. The workaround was to connect
the the EN/SC to a 10base-T-only hub or switch, then
connect that to the rest of the network. I don't know
if you can even find 10base-T hubs/switches anymore,
but I imagine a used one would be quite cheap.

BC

http://taxes.yahoo.com/