On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 02:32 PM, Mark Semon wrote:

> Hmmm, I tried the Lucent card in my 2400, and it's a no-go. All things
> considered, I think you're better off withthe Skyline card, which is a
> mac card right out of the box.
>
> Let us know if you're hack works.

Well, here's my update. I downloaded TomeViewer and the Airport 2.0.2
smi file and extracted these files:

AirPort Driver
AirPort PC Card
AirPort Control Strip
AirPort AP
AirPort AP Support
Airport (The application)
Airport Setup Assistant

I only think that the first two files are needed, but I wanted the
control strip module, and I had some problems joining my closed network.
(So I thought that maybe the AP files were needed.)

Anyway, I had to use the AirPort Admin utility to make my network an
"open" one, at which point the 2400 connected right away. (I used the
"AirPort Setup Assistant") At that point, I could open the Airport
application and check the box marked "Allow selection of closed
networks" Hopefully that will make the difference in the future if I
need to select a closed network. Afterwards I changed my network back to
a "closed" one with no ill effects.

Hope that proves helpful to anyone out there. Most important lesson I
have gathered from the list in the past is that one ought not use the
Lucent drivers. Skip them for the Apple Airport drivers.

My configuration:

2400c/180 (original 603ev) 80MB/6GB running MacOS 9.1

I imagine that if you are running 8.6 that the AirPort 2.0.x dirvers
won't work, but then again, with the Lucent Silver card, and a Base
Station version 1.0 I can't use the 128-bit WEP, so I can't see the
advantage anyway.

Tom