On "geek magnetism", I've queried for a possible G3-700-800 MHz upgrade for
the Powerbook 2400c.

The specs on the new PPC750FX from IBM show a 1 GHz G3 with up to 20X
multiplier which means that on a 40 MHz bus we could still get 800 MHz on
the CPU. Some performance might be compromised with such a high multiplier,
but being able to run a 2400 at near G4-800 MHz speeds would be great for
boasting rights. Not bad for the upgrade business to put forward a
"technology demonstrator" at 800 Mhz.

IBM has also increased the L2 cache to 512KB on the chip and which runs full
speed at the same speed as the CPU.  The disadvantage is that it's only
512KB and not 1 MB as most mid to high end upgrades are these days, but
we'll take anything we can get. So this idea has been forwarded to the
upgrade folks in addition to the standing presumption that they've been
looking into upgrade possibilities over the past 6 weeks. If I don't get a
reply next week by mid-week I'll call 'em up.

Sidney Ho