greetings this is really a story of my roadtrip to macworld NY and
contains some upgrading infos
perhaps it is a bit long but some of the details my be helpful as
other consider upgrades.

I started in Texas with  a used 2400 c 180 ,48mb ram and 3gb hd, a
TiBook 400, a Power mac 7600 and a iMac 233 rev b  all jammed in the
Astro Van with my friend and I.  so we had more computers than people!
Only the two powerbooks and the two people returned to Texas :-0
Desktops found new NY homes.

At Macworld  NY 2002 I attempted to install the drivers for the
farallon Skyline card and to access the airport network in the
Macworld Internet Cafe .. I could not even See any airport networks.
I then heard many  Powerbooks before TiBook had difficulty also ???
any one know about THAT?
Despite my failure it was fun to attempt and a few folks gathered to
watch over my shoulder.

I was later able to get the card to see other Airport networks (Apple
Base Station and Software base Station File sharing off Tibook.) So
that was a success with Airport.

Next I renewed my contacts with Jake Luck from this list and arranged
to do some hardware upgrades inside the 2400.  I have some PC and Mac
tech building skills but was grateful that Jake offered to help since
he had been inside the 2400 several times before.  AND YES it is very
tight and confusing inside.

After Jake removed many scresws and cables. We removed the 3 GB hard
drive ... installed it into a Powerboy USB/Firwire enclosure, and put
the 10 gb Toshiba HD from my Tibook 400 into the 2400 Powerbook. The
drives fit nicely into their new locations. WE DID use a few rubber
spacers there were in the powerbook 2400 when we installed the
Toshiba drive.- apparently these drive screw spacers are not always
present.

We also upgraded the Ram to 80 MB with a 64 mb OMNI inc chip off ebay
for $39.  Despite the troubles some folks have it showed up as 80mb
total at first and still has... I think I got one AFTER the quality
error that they fixed.

now I had a blank HD with no OS as neither JAKE nor I had a CD ROM - Oopps
I was able to boot with Jake's Disk tools floppy and verify that the
2400 worked and that the HD and RAM where seen by the system.
Thanks again Jake!

I next used a CD-Rom I had traveled to NY with (but not carried to
Jake's ) and installed os 8.6 temporarily and just tested things out.
Then I set up  a trip to friend's "Lake House" and got some real work done.
I booted the 2400 off Cd and partitioned the internal 10 gb Hd into
three partions  one with a stock 8.6 (for the future OSX perhaps)
I installed the Skyline card and drivers on the 2400 8.6 install.
i hooked the Powerboy firewire enclosure (old 2400 HD) up the the
Tibook and it mounts to desktop..
With Airport base station in Ad hoc (infrastructure mode) I used file
sharing to transfer the previously tweaked 8.6 install from the
Firewire Hd into a second partiton on the 2400.

back in Manhattan I was able to find a panasonic 24 x portable CDrom
with no battery case for $100 used .
and it works most of the time :-)

So Now I have a 2400 180 with 80mb ram and a 10 gb 4200rpm toshiba
HD. I have Wireless networking, and ethernet, an extraneous  modem I
have never setup ;-) and two batteries and a Cd rom.

I have found that 8.6 works best for me on the 2400. I have two
Versions installed , one is pretty stock for troubleshooting and one
is tweaked . Then I have 6 gb left over for CD imagesand mp3s (i use
Audion Player) so I NEVER need to carry around the Cdrom.

All I am waiting for is the G3 upgrade to the 2400 and my Tibook can
stay at home as a desktop unit.
Hope some of this Process is of use to those considering uprgades....
it was a lot of leg work... but NOW 2400 comet Rocks and goes
everywhere with me.

--
====    Bon V. Davis II  =  [EMAIL PROTECTED] =========