Bernard a écrit:

C'est un grand plaisir pour moi, vivant à Paris, de lire un message en français....
mais ça ne me gêne [n]ullement de les lire en anglais.
Et c'est un grand plaisir pour moi, vivant aux Etats-Unis, de lire un message
en français, ou en allemande. Nous ne sommes pas seulement des gens
monolingues ici. Und es hat mich gefreut, dass ich wieder die Gelegenheit
hatte, etwas Deutsch und Französisch lesen zu können.

(And it was a pleasure for me, living in the US, to read a message in French
or in German. We're not all monolingual here)

One last comment, then I'll shut up <g>. The FAQ for this list doesn't mention
anything about language usage. I've always been impressed by the wide variety
of countries represented here, so it's only natural that someone might want to
post a question in a language other than English. If you consider how many Duo
resources might exist in a country that speaks language [insert something here],
you might expect that if someone doesn't receive adequate help they might be
tempted to try their luck here. And everyone here is so helpful, so they're bound
to get a good answer.

I did subscribe to a moderated list that originally was English only. Once that list
started receiving posts in other languages, the moderators asked for help from
others who could understand the content because they didn't want to pass notes
without moderation but also felt bad about refusing them because they didn't
have the ability to judge the content. Since this is an unmoderated list, that
doesn't apply here.

OK, I'm going away now. Really going away. I'll be in Japan this weekend, seeing
how much more of that language I can absorb.

-wayne