On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 12:25PM, Small Moose Ltd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've seen on eBay old laserjet's selling for next to nothing. I'm assuming
>the real cost comes in delivery because they're such big heavy objects, but
>I think one of these things would make a brilliant second hand printer for
>an old Mac. Has anyone here ever bought a second hand Laser printer? What's
>the mileage on a toner cartridge? I'm not bothered that they only print
>black and white, I just really love the crispness of the text, and for what
>is only a few bucks, could have a top quality printing machine.

I have two second-hand LaserWriter 16/600 PS, arguably the best of the Apple
LaserWriters, which supports Ethernet, TCP/IP, LocalTalk, and SCSI connectivity, and
works with both Macs and PCs. The second unit was bought on eBay for about $200 a year
ago, with a shipping charge of $15.  It had a page count of only 7k, with a projected
service life of 450k pages.  The seller sent along a "somewhat used" toner cartridge,
which is still going strong after several thousand more pages of printing.  It is far
more economical than my several ink-jet printers.