I'm a longtime lister who finally experienced my first terminal GLOD after about 5 years of using my 2400c. In the past, I've been able to revive the 'book from this condition, this time I could not. After avoiding doing my own work on this model for years because of the dire warnings about the complex nature of the task, I decided to byte the bullet and do a complete motherboard transplant with another 2400c we had lying around the office. Thanks to the very detailed step-by-step instructions on the Mac2400 website from Ivan Drucker, completely disassembling these things really wasn't too bad at all. I wound up removing the motherboard and IO board from the surplus machine, installed my Vimage G3, the 96MB RAM chip, and my 30 gig HD, then put it all back inside my 2400c. After the surgery, BOTH machines booted up fine...then my upgraded machine died again. It now appears to be terminal again. For reasons I won't get into here, I now think it's my 96 MB RAM that's suspect (I've had the RAM installed for several years). That (finally) leads me to my two questions:

1. Anyone else experience a GLOD-like failure that was eventually traced to defective RAM?
2. Having missed the eBay auction for another chip by around 12 hours...does anyone have a lead on another one of these elusive 96 MB memory upgrades?

Thanks,

Gary

---------- Duo/2400 List, The friendliest place on the Net! A listserv for users and fans of Mac subportables. FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/DuoListFAQ.shtml> Be sure to visit Mac2400! <http://www.sineware.com/mac2400>

RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

Midwest Mac Parts ][ <http://www.midwestmac.com> After-market parts for Macs. ][ 888-356-1104 ][

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>