Intro

This will serve to keep track of major changes coming down the pike for
v2.0 duplicity.  I'll update with any new changes

I have made a new project called duplicity-py3
<https://gitlab.com/duplicity/duplicity-py3>. It passes all the tests we
have. I’m working on more comprehensive testing now.
Timeline

At this point we have released 3 alpha and 3 beta versions with almost
minimal from testers. I’d like to get the testing done before the release
if at all possible.

The main branch has been merged into *duplicity-py3*, and *main* has is now
in a release freeze. When we release 2.0, I’ll just replace main's repo
with the duplicity-py3 repo and be done with it, down to just one project
again. Between now and then I have a tentative release schedule:
daterelease
07/10 RC0
07/17 RC1
07/24 RC2
07/27 2.0.0Python 3.8+ only from now on

   - 2.7 is End Of Life
   - 3.0 to 3.7 are End Of Life
   - remove future (includes builtins)
   - pure Python 3 code only (1 C extension)

Deprecated options

   - –gio
   - –old-filenames
   - –short-filenames
   - –time-separator
   - –exclude-globbing-filelist
   - –include-globbing-filelist
   - –exclude-filelist-stdin
   - –include-filelist-stdin
   - –s3-multipart-max-timeout
   - –s3-use-multiprocessing
   - –s3-use-server-side-encryption
   - –s3-use-server-side-kms-encryption

NOTE 1: For --old-filenames and --short-filenames, only the option itself
and the ability to *create* old and short filenames will be removed. We
will maintain the ability to read them for the foreseeable future.

NOTE 2: The --time-separator option will be deprecated only for full or
incremental backups, but allowed for non-backup commands since it is
necessary to read any backups created with a nonstandard time separator
character. We will not create any new files with time separators.
Changed Options

   - --file-to-restore to --path-to-restore
   - --do-not-restore-ownership to --no-restore-ownership

Remove replicate command

   - See issue #98
   - Plenty of other tools available, rsync, rclone, etc.

Remove rdiffdir command

   - Not known to be in use.
   - Would require major updates to maintain.

Remove s3_boto_backend.py

   - boto has not been updated since 2018
   - Does not support above Python 3.4
   - Replaced by s3_boto3_backend.py

Help system overhaul

   - Module optparse will be replaced by argparse
   - Hierarchical help for each command and backend
   - Some improvements may be moved to 2.1 or later

Command line fixes

   - Convert from optparse (deprecated) to argparse.
   - There will be 1 optional and 1 or 2 positional args:
      1. COMMAND - all previous commands plus help (optional for
      backup/restore)
      2. SOURCE - the source directory or URL - same as previous
      3. TARGET - the target directory or URL - same as previous
      4. Other - timestamp or count
   - Compression and encryption option interaction:
      1. compression and encryption are both default
      2. if –no-encryption is passed, only compression will be done (by
      default gzip algo for now)
      3. if –no-compression is passed, only encryption will be done (gpg
      gets –compress-algo=none)
      4. if both are passed we generate plain tarballs