Hi Larry
I have made serval posts as to my 160 antenna so please bear with me. It is simply a 1/4 wave #14 insulated wire tossed over a tall oak tree (approximately 80 feet high) in an inverted position. There are 120 radials 60 to 100 foot long that were cut to fit the property. They are insulated #12 wires.
Now for a comparison of the Butternut to the "L". Don't remember the model number but mine it is the multi (8 bands) one. I used the Butternut with this radial system with very good results. Out of curiosity, I tossed a 1/4 wave length 160 meter wire over the tree and tried it, the Butternut came down. The "L" was constantly 10db better than the Butternut. I have added 1/4 wave length wires for 30, 40 and 80 meters. They are connected directly to 8214 coax and separated as much as possible by pulling them up into adjacent trees. BTW, all the radials and coax braid are connected to a sheet of aluminum that is 1/4 X 24 X 24 inches. There is no matching network. The wires were cut long and pruned to lowest SWR as measured at the station. Only draw back to the system is in the summer time the signals seem a tad low. I contribute this to the leaves on the oak trees. Poor man's antenna system but it works.
JV KT4U

PS: Earl, I still haven't got the flag built. Frozen here in the Blueridge Mountains of Virginia. Oh well, I'll get it going when the weather warms up.