The recent interest in whether or not the original (ie UNAET) East Timor
entity will be removed has, finally, brought some attention to the one part
of the "DXCC 2000" rules update that I (for one) was never comfortable with.

I've had it explained to me a few times, including once or twice by some
senior ARRL staffers at Dayton, and while I think I understand the rational,
I never -- and still do not -- agree with it.

Consider that Deleted Entities only "count" in two places, at present (that
I know of) -- your DXCC application & updates (be it mixed, mode specific,
band specific, or 5 Band), and personal bragging rights.  They do NOT count
towards Honor Roll -- a good thing, considering the number of Deleted
Entities that so many recent DX'ers will never have an opportunity to work
(some deleted long before said DX'ers were even born!), else HR would
eventually be a SK listing and nothing more.

Now, I would (grudgingly) agree with the reasoning that a Deleted Entity
remains a Deleted one forever.  Which (again, as was explained to me at
Dayton as noted above) is why 4W/East Timor is not a "reactivated"
CR8/Portugese Timor.  But does it ultimately matter, if you reactivate an
entity or create a "new" one?  Only in the sense that reactivating an entity
means that DX'ers who have had that deleted one on file for however long
doesn't have to worry about working it after reactivation... ie, those who
still had a CR8/PT card wouldn't have had to work a 4W/UNAET station to get
the "credit" for HR, just resubmit or whatever.  Whether or not that is
desireable would be an interesting discussion, if it weren't a moot point
right now.

[And... before someone says "Western Sahara," I should again mention that I
was told that that reactivation was an error -- it should have been
considered a new entity, not a reactivation of the old EA9/Rio de Oro.    I
must agree on this point with that individual, who pointed out that just
because an error happened once does not obligate them to repeat it]

Now:  I suspect that the discussion may remain academic, as (based on what I
have read and researched on my own) I do not believe that the WA2MOE/JA1BK
petition to have the original 4W/UNAET entity removed has merit, nor do I
believe it will suceed.  As some of you are not doubt already aware, the
petition is in part based on the original UN mandate to oversee East Timor,
but subsequent documents expanded the UN's authority over & above the
original mandate & superseeded it.  Additionally, the unnamed (in the
petition) ARRL official who supposedly admitted to an "error" or "mistake"
has since stated that he merely acknowledged that the 4W prefix had been
rescinded (and after all, wasn't it a temporary allocation to the UN
anyway?)  Therefore, I strongly doubt that the former UNAET, now
Timor-Leste, entity will be removed & replaced with a "new" one.  But that's
my opinon, I could be wrong.

(Besides, I'm MUCH more irritated to find out that 4W6MM's authorization to
operate expired in March '02, but he wasn't told until months later, which
invalidates my one & only QSO with him in the '02 IARU contest!  Ah, nutz!
Oh well, just have to try again...)

73, ron wn3vaw

AJ:  "Did you ever hear of Evel Kneival?"
Lev:  "I never saw Star Wars"

-- Armageddon