Hey, it took me several months (at the age of 13) to learn enough to
pass the General test.  We need to remember that we were not all born
with a detailed knowledge of electronics, particularly back in the days
before there were Bash-books and question pools to memorize and you
actually had to understand the stuff.  I got my General at a time when
you needed to wait (2 years?) before you could even take the Extra test
and about then the FCC gave General licensees full privileges so there
was no real incentive to upgrade, other than personal achievement.  I
finally did, but that was quite a bit later (the Extra-only CW bands
provided me with the necessary incentive).

73,
Bob, N7XY