Hi,

This is N5PHT, Gary, writing from North Texas.  I once before suggested this idea and it really didn't catch on - maybe I did not try it long enough and would really like to try again if there is some support.

The DX spots could be made in a uniform way that would really give helpful info in a short space.  For example, if I spot a DX station and in the info area I put:

579.W5.D.10

That would mean I am cpy the dx 579 and I am in W5 land and I am using a dipole (D) and it is up 10 meters.  It would be easy to devise a simple uniform reporting system.

For example, the antenna:

B2- beam (with the number designation being the number of elements)
D- diopole
V- vertical

It would not need to be elaborate to help make the spot more useful.  When I see a spot and it says 'strong hr' that does not really mean much.  The spotter may be using a 3 element beam up 25 meters and that would explain why I am not hearing the dx with a dipole at 10 meters.

So, the suggested syntax:

RST.PREFIX.ANTENNA.HEIGHT

You could include (I think I did last time I suggested this) a power designator but what really matters is hearing the DX.  If I spot the BQ9P this morning it would be:

459.W5.B3.14

And that would give useful information.  You could even add a grid square to make it more precise?

Ideas?

73 de N5PHT, Gary

Do you Yahoo!?