Charles, et. al:

As a former newspaper reporter having your "stuff" (our word for stories, not my XYL Cheryl WY5H cleaning up the shack) picked up by other media was/is a common thing. Its not right, but it happens all the time. Sometimes credit is given, sometimes not.

I used to get a kick out of some of the small town radio stations around Waco TX where I worked for 6 1/2 years reading my stories on the air, mistakes and all without any corrections or even fact checking. I once listened to one station read verbatim a 30 inch long feature story I wrote on one man in the town where this particular station was located, even hearing the pages rustle as he followed the story to the part that jumped inside. A 30 inch feature story takes at least 10 minutes to read on the air if not longer and its not written in radio broadcast style. I guess I should have provided broadcast style rewrites of my stories hi hi.

Another time back in the 1970s I broke the story of warrants being issued for the arrest of a senior Dallas/Fort Worth area police officer for the murder of a prostitute at a Waco massage parlor because the detective working the case said he would have the guy in custody before morning and he assured me it would not hurt his case or the arrest, otherwise I would have sat on the story.

Well the local radio stations at first ran my story as "their" story (they had just "learned" of the impending arrest) but when the arrest didn't happen as quickly as the detectives said it would these same stations that had "learned" of the impending arrest suddenly turned on me and my newspaper like Piranhas going after a side of beef. They distanced themselves in a hurry saying the arrest was delayed because of a Waco newspaper's premature release of the information. But a little while later in the morning when the Waco PD did announce the arrest, they touted it again that they had "announced" the impending arrest in their newscasts that morning.

This has nothing to do with picking up information off of one web site and putting it on another, but stuff like this happens all the time.

Tom, WW5L, 7P8TA, V31EF, G0/WW5L

PS: Nice to see you teach plagiarism in college. I had it drilled into me writing research papers during my grad school days in mass communications.

Charles Harpole wrote:

I am not a member of any DX club, but I think WLS over reacted to the repeating of web info as per an earlier chat. While it would have been nice and proper for reference to be made to the original source of the "tips" to say this incident is unethical is a stretch.

One has to realize that the Web is a new thing .... nothing on it can be verified or authenticated, everything on it is just like a big conversation or even a bull session.... informal, filled with opinion, and very often not accurate. One's words can spread with one's control.... archived, quoted, misquoted at will.

I teach plagiarism in college classes. Yes, this incident is plagiarism in the pure sense, it is hardly intellectual theft where someone plans to profit or benefit by stealing another person's ideas.

Intellectual property is only protected by copyright for the life of the author plus 75 years.

Charles Harpole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]