To: <dx-chat@njdxa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:58 PM
Subject: RE: [DX-CHAT] KP5 ?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Another question: how does a random licensed amateur cause the operation to
be prematurely terminated? A Freedom of Information Act query into the
agency that implemented the termination might yield a clue or two.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

I don't think it was a "random radio amateur".  I'm guessing it was a
person in one of two categories - (1) Someone who on his own has been
trying to get to Desecheo and was turned down, and held a grudge when
someone else got to go there and operate; or (2) a radio amateur who is
also a fanatic on protecting wildlife who couldn't stand to see someone
get permission from the F&WS.

I operated the June VHF QSO Party last year from Bald Knob, Illinois. It
is the highest point in southern Illinois. The hill is owned by a
religious organization and has a gigantic 110-foot cross on the top.  The
group that owns the hill has always had a rapport with radio amateurs.
In fact, they fed us dinner Saturday night! But I was told by someone
who has operated from there in the past that there was some HAM sentiment
against their using this religious site for ham radio purposes.  This
seems rather kooky to me, since the religious group themselves and the
local people were more than happy to have us up there.

Just shows to go you ...

73, Zack W9SZ