Operations from Guantanamo (licensing and callsign assignment) are under the jurisdiction of the military, not FCC.

Bob, N7XY

On Mar 25, 2006, at 11:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I have sent an inquiry to ARRL Field Services to see if there is any input on the situation.

The best as I can see, operating under the authority of an FCC license does not allow any station is US territory to operate beyond Extra Class privileges {on 20 Meters}. Or to operate with a callsign outside the assigned call of the station. If the FCC has granted authority to officials at Gitmo to assign calls, then maybe the call is Kosher. Prefixes can be added with a slant bar, but the operator can not choose to alter the assigned call. If I hear anything regarding this I'll update the list.

I don't know if I missed what spurred the comment about the 3 KHz wide SSB sigs. But, it was good to listen to 14.348 and above, hear the DX calling cq, but no US stations answering. This was not the case in ARRL DX this month. What most ops don't consider is that the dial frequency is the suppressed carrier frequency. So on twenty, a dial frequency above 13.347 puts the sig squarely outside the ham band. Same closer than 3 KHz from the bottom of a band on LSB. Just cause the DX is calling CQ there doesn't mean US stations should call there!

I did find it interesting to hear KG44WW scolding US stations for calling him out of band. Unless I learn something new about operating from Gitmo I thought he was out of band.

73 for now,

Duane, WV2B

"Nothing great is ever achieved without enthusiasm."- Ralph Waldo Emerson.