As has been pointed out before, the KG4 2x2 block is not issued by the FCC.

This is what I've learned over the last 24 hours:
-- KG44WW is being operated by KG4WW, who in civilian life is KX4WW. QSL via
N4BAA.
-- He is on Guantanamo.
-- He is currently the person the base commander has delegated the authority
to issue call signs for use by on-base persons in the Amateur Service.
-- Since Guantanamo is not under FCC jursidiction, he does have the
authority to operate outside the "stateside" US phone bands.

So I have no doubts whatsoever as to whether the legitimacy of the operator.
I only have a question as to whether or not the "double number" prefix is
permitted under the details of the terms by which the FCC assigned the KG4
2x2 block to the military for use by Amateurs on Guantanamo.

At worst, I suspect that if it should not have been allowed, that the
operator made an honest error in trying to generate a "new" prefix.

I should add... I did get a private email from someone with connections down
there asking that we QRX on the situation.  The concern raised, which is
legit, boiled down to this: if a fuss was raised, the base commander could
simply decide that he has more important things to worry about and simply
ban future Amateur operating as too much trouble.  To say nothing of a
possible problem with the future of the careers of the operators involved.

While I agree with this concern, by the same token, I don't think there's
anything wrong with finding out if the prefix in use was technically OK or
was issued in error.  If it was an error, then it shouldn't happen again.
But I wouldn't want to see this blow up to the point where someone's career
is put in jeopardy (or worse) or future operating is prohibited.

In short:  We've probably beaten this dead horse enough.  The concerns have
been duly noted.  Let's just stand by and wait to see what shakes out.
And... WFWL!

73, ron wn3vaw
administrator, dx-chat