----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Harpole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] DX who QSL or not

When I receive cash in a qsl request, I thank the sender silently and accept
this donation to my effort to return qsls.  Personally, I feel honor bound
to reply to those with cash and those without.  BUT, I do not think this
idea should automatically apply to other people.

My point is that one can not have it both ways.... that is, one can not send
money as a gift* and at the same time expect that the presence of money
REQUIRES a response.  To think it requires a return, means you are ordering
a qsl ... as any mail order from any vendor of a product... which is
basically the act of purchase.  How can it be otherwise--- if one sends $$$
with the expection of a return?  I still maintain that to avoid the idea of
a purchase, the cash sent must be a donation... a free gift with no strings
attached, and can not be otherwise, rationally.  A "bribe" is payment to do
something not legal and thus this word does not apply in this matter because
these are not matters of law breaking.

*even if the cash is only meant to cover the sender's expenses, that seems
to me to be like the "free" products businesses offer to send to you if only
you will pay for the postage and handling..... sounds same to me.

Thanks for your ideas, too..........  73

Charles Harpole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I use nested envelopes for QSL requests, plain white for state-side and
international air mail for overseas. I always fill out the return envelope
with the recipients full address in the upper left-hand corner and my
address in large print in the middle. For overseas, always remember to
include USA below your address on the return envelope.

For state-side I affix a first class stamp, and for overseas the correct
denomination of stamps (air-mail) for the particular country involved.
This is on my return envelope.

For envelopes sent to mgrs of DX stations in a contest, I always send
$2.00 in greenbacks with a sticky pad attached saying "to help with
QSL card costs". For envelopes sent to DX stations, in addition to
my pre-addressed and pre-stamped return envelope, I either enclose
2 IRC's with note "for your QSL needs", or $ 2.00 in greenbacks and
a note "to help with your QSL costs". I avoid sending cash to those
countries that have strict mail customs rules, or where mail theft is a
problem. 425 DX News, QRZ DX, The Daily/Weekly DX, etc is a
source of this info.

Since getting back on the air in 1994, my QSL return rate has been 100 %
using this method. There have been times that I have had to send another
such QSL request and a note saying I sent you you a card on such a
date and did you get it. An example of this was an XV5 and a TU2. The
replies in all these instances was "Sorry, I didn't get your card".

International mail does get lost or stolen. A C9 or TR8 with a good
signal to the west coast can work a slew of W5, W6, and W7 stns.
Most likely, he needs none of these cards, but he will sure get a lot
of requests for his card. Remember, he has to pay for the cost of
these cards, take the time to answer the cards, and exchange the IRC's
for stamps. I always try to make it very easy for the DX stn to answer
my QSL requests, and that is why I use pre-addressed and pre-stamped
return envelopes.  My ideas !                     73/DX,  Larry - K4WLS