> There's a very simple solution.  If and when a replacement for
> the Regulation by Bandwith petition is  submitted, just include
> an exception limiting private mailbox robots (be they PACTOR III
> or anything else) to a small sub-band segment.

The Headquarters decision makers will never stand for that.  I was
a member of the first ad hoc committee on digital operation - the
committee Headquarters hand picked to propose the framework for
the rules concerning automatic digital operation on HF.  In spite
of the objection by half of the committee members, we were told in
so many words, that automatic operation would not fly unless the
so called semi-automatic stations were exempted from any restrictions
on their operation.  That meant they did not have to operate in the
narrow segments assigned for automatic stations and did not need an
operator present to make sure they did not QRM other operations on
the frequency.

The individuals pushing "semi-automatic" operation are the same
intervals who are behind the Winlink, Airmail, and other PACTOR,
etc. systems that are abusing the amateur service for quasi-
commercial purposes.

ARRL's EMCOMM staff is pushing Winlink protocols with PACTOR III
bandwidths for permanent deployment as an "Emergency Communications
Resource."  I know one of the individuals who is working on the
hardware control protocols, professionally, for the joint FEMA
ARRL network.

Don't give me the "it ain't so" crap - I've seen it first hand
for more than 10 years.  Only when ARRL proposes to the FCC that
"semi-automatic" stations be subject to the same rules as any
other automatically controlled station will your denials have
any validity.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV