Yes,
I agree totally with Markus. The current surveys are next to useless for
DXpeditions, not that I am putting down the efforts of those involved.
But, DXpedtioners need to know a lot more detail. For example, there is little
support for a DXpedition to Sable Island from the US because it is not
currently in the top 100 for the US. At the same time, many comments are
received like: sorry we can't support your DXpedition, because it is not in the
top 100, but If you go I hope to work you on 160.
We don't just need to know overall where it is on the big list. We need to know
what bands/modes are most needed. What different areas of the world to target,
even how many hams of what license class might need/want a contact {is it worth
listening in the General band, for example}. That would be helpful with
planning equipment, antennas, and operating strategy, even who to take as
operators. Just knowing what number it is isn't a lot of help. A country may be
number 100 on the list. What does that mean? Does that mean it is a waste of
time to go there? Or perhaps is it desperately needed by a significant number
of hams on certain bands/modes? Does being #100 mean you will call cq with no
takers, or does it mean there are still 47,000 dxers in the US who would like
to work it?
BTW- I think we should shift this from news to chat, before the moderator has
to tell us. The first post was news, now it is chat.
73,
Duane, WV2B
www.sabledx.com

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it."-
Ralph Waldo Emerson