Interesting question. Personally, I only turn the amp and xcvr on when I use them and turn them off when I'm done. I posed this question to Krassy at Acom a few years ago (I have a 2000A) and he recommended turning it off if it will sit idle for more than 30 minutes. OTOH, my computer is left on from the time I get home from work until bedtime.
Barry W2UP

Ragnar Otterstad wrote:
I have been turning everything on in the morning and then turning it off around midnight. In terms of wear and tear on the ACOM-1000, as well as the life of the tube, would it be better to turn it off for the 2-3 hour periods when it is being used, or to leave it on all day as I have been doing? I know the off/on cycle stresses components, especially tubes, but so does leaving a piece of equipment running 15-16 hours a day.
---------------------------------

It has always been my understanding, that it is less wear if it is turned
all day
rather than switching on and off several times.  The lifetime for the tubes
is definately supposed to be longer.
The other side of the coin is of course the rising cost of energy and what
our excesses are doing to the environment.

73

" RAG "  Ragnar Otterstad   LA5HE JW5HE OZ8RO

Located in Telemark - Home of skiing.

For more information about Telemark take a look at : www.telemarksnett.no/en/index.html

Barry Kutner, W2UP Newtown, PA