Thanks to Several Sources

73,
Tony N2MFT
President
Mid Florida DX Association W4FDX
DXCC/WAS/VUCC/IARU Card Checker and VE Coordinator
<http://www.W4FDX.com/>http://www.W4FDX.com/

The following is from W5GAI, Skip, in reference to the status of VY0V, Cezar.

Bernie, W3UR

VY0V
DXpedition to East Pennbsp; Is. (NA-231 New)
3 days between March 26 - 31, 2010
Nunavut (CQ Zone 4)Canada
_<http://www.qrz.com/db/vy0v_>http://www.qrz.com/db/vy0v_ (http://www.qrz.com/db/vy0v) I saw this spot about 0330z and went to 10107.5; VY0V was on; frequency, asking for help; Others had marginal copy so I joined and; had several; QSO's with Cezar VY0V between; 0330-0500z. He said that; rain and wind was fierce, visibility poor, he had no water, no fire, no gas; for generator, battery getting low, and native guide had abandoned him 38; hours ago; He was worried and seemed delirious, rambling on while; running down his battery. I got Cezar to give me his GPS coordinates 56"; 44.854 N 88" 37.812 W and relayed this to Ralph VE7XF who said Frank VE7DP; was working to get a; rescue and they passed it on to a rescue team; coordinator by phone who will get it to them by sat phone next comm they; have; The rescue team supposedly left Fort Severn on a 7/8 hour trek at; 4pm EDT which would have been 3PM CDT, so they should have been near him by; 10-11 PM CDT or 03-0400z; Cezar said at 0500z he had low visibility and; no contact with the rescue team yet; Told Cezar to conserve battery,; get some sleep and try 10107.5 again at 1100z just before his sunrise at; 1130z if not rescued; Later Ralph VE7XF informed me that guys that went; to try to get Cezar today had to turn back according to VE7DP, as their ski; doo kept bogging down due to the rise in temp in the area; I tried; 10107.5 at 1100 and 1130z; and got no reply from VY0V; So; I started looking on the internet for RCMP phone numbers; I called; RCMP's Ontario Division HQ 24/7 ; At 11:45z they patched me through to; Jason at the North Bay Comm Center of the Ontario Provincial Police . ; He said that the Fist Nations Policing team from Fort Severn was; working on the; rescue and that they were in communication with North Bay Comm Center. ; He said would relay any new information to me for broadcast to the concerned; amateur radio community; At 1215z Jason called me to say that the; rescue team hads a visual sighting of Cezar's location and should be arriving; at his location shortly; I continue to monitor 10107.5 and 7007. ; Let's hope for a positive outcome.

Skip Cameron W5GAI
Austin,; TX

UPDATE April 2: Cezar is safe!
I spoke by phone with Cezar VY0V/VE3LYC's wife Lucy. Lucy had convinced RCMP that an air rescue was needed because the ground team was way overdue. She said the 2 man ground rescue team arrived (after 27 hours) about the same time the twin otter plane did around 8PM local.

Cezar called Lucy upon arrival back in Fort Severn, about 120km from East Pen Is. NA-231. One of the two guides who took Cezar to the island was aboard the plane to assist in exact location. He was one of the two who abandoned Cezar approximately 8am on Tuesday, saying they had business back in the village of Ft. Severn and would return. Cezar put out his SOS for Rescue Wednesday afternoon after they didn't return after 38 hours and he had run out of generator fuel, had no fire, battery running low for radio, rain and wind howling

Full Story:
<http://dx-world.net/2010/vy0v-east-pen-is-nunavut-na-231-new-2/>http://dx-world.net/2010/vy0v-east-pen-is-nunavut-na-231-new-2/

Jack Hartley
K4WSB / VP2MSB