Ron, I think I can answer that question without need for an investigative
reporter: politics. I worked very closely with USFWS in my years with the US
National Park Service as a wildlife biologist. Given the constantly changing
political climate and the consequent usually dramatic changes in policies
(e.g., should FWS change wolves, polar bear, grizzly bear, salmon, bison,
Island Marble Butterfly, etc, etc from Endangered to Threatened or take them
altogether off the List? Should mining and drilling be permitted in a National
Wildlife Refuge?), the US Fish & Wildlife Service personnel, usually at the
professional mid-management and field levels, are scared to death of doing or
changing anything which might come back to bite them in the rear end one to ten
years down the road. The "do nothing" option is the only choice they feel they
have which will permit them to keep their jobs (and I know personnel who have
lost their jobs by actually taking action on something). FWS is caught in the
middle between hardcore environmentalists and committed open pit and petroleum
miners. Most of the personnel can't be fired but if someone makes a decision
that it would be OK to permit ham radio ops on Navassa or Desecheo Island, the
risk is that someone might suddenly find their job has been eliminated. Thus,
don't expect to see permitted operations on either island anytime soon. I hope
I am wrong.

I believe it will indeed require an act of Congress before we see further
DXpeditions to KP1/5. Good thing for me since Caribbean contacts are difficult
from my particular Arizona QTH under current propagation conditions :-( .

73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
Certified Wildlife Biologist, Retd