From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul Ferguson
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:24 PM
To: dx-news@njdxa.org
Subject: Re: [DX-NEWS] IRC

> It is good to be equipped with the rules:
> http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc3_007.html#npLZq39wats
>
> I took some IRCs to the post office today, and they first tried to
> tell me I had to have something to mail. I showed them the rules that
> state they can be exchanged for postage stamps.

It is good to hear others are having better luck than here in Raleigh, NC.

I took my IRCs to a different PO today and talked to a supervisor.
She seemed to be familiar with IRCs and told me that older foreign issued IRCs
can only be redeemed
for postage amounts according to when they were issued. She showed me a section
of a PO Field
Service manual that indeed had a table showing issue date ranges and amounts
they were worth. The
amounts ranged from 18 cents and up to 84 cents I think. She will follow the
field manual and not
the statement in the referenced Web page that says:

---------------
"372.3 Selling Price and Rate of Exchange a. The selling price of a reply
coupon in the United
States is $1.85.
One coupon is exchangeable in any other member country for a stamp or stamps
representing the
minimum postage on an unregistered air letter. Unused U.S. coupons (that is
those with the U.S.
selling price stamped on them) may be exchanged only for United States postage
stamps by the
original purchaser at a discount of 1 cent below the purchase price.

b. International reply coupons purchased in foreign countries are exchangeable
at U.S. Post Office
facilities toward the purchase of postage stamps and embossed stamped envelopes
(including
aerogrammes) at the rate of $0.84 per coupon irrespective of the country where
they were purchased."

My PO interprets the above as to apply to IRCs from the current year.

It would be nice if they would make all their rules public.

73,
Paul
K5ESW