I have lived in a retirement highrise on the 10th (top floor) for the
past four years. I now have access to the roof of the building above my
condominium on a limited basis. It would be nice to put up the best
antenna I can and stay off the roof as much as I can.
I am presently using a wire antenna about 40 feet long running from an
SGC-230 on my porch to an abandoned antenna on an elevator shaft about
25 feet across the roof. Because the best I can do is to get the end
point about 25 feet above the lightning protection interconnecting
braids, I fear much of my energy is being radiated vertically because
the braids are acting as a plane reflector. The wire runs at an angle of
less than 45 degrees across the roof. Therefore a vertical antenna seems
to be the preferred antenna for me, although a trapped inverted V dipole
supported at the abandoned antenna has support.
The antennas I'm considering are: 1. Cushcraft R-7 or 6000 type, 2.
Hustler 6BTV type. 3.Butternut type. 4. Vertical 23 ft long fed with
open wire line tuned with the SGC-230. and the inverted V. The antenna I
finally select must have the smallest height that is efficient to permit
me to have the reduced susceptability to a lightning strike . I will
protect it as well as I can, however.The main bands of interest are 10
Mhz to 30 Mhz, though it would be nice to have 40, 80 and 160 available.
I lost my chance at a wire running to a point from my balcony to an
attach point near the ground because a neighbor complained and I chose
not to fight. So, if you guys have suggestions as to what will be the
better antenna, I'm all ears. Please respond direct and if there is
enough interest, I'll send out the results. All help will be
appreciated.               Tnx for your time and 73's
                                                Ben