Hello DXers from HS land... I have had to abandon my efforts to oftain an XW
license this summer.  The process is rather difficult, but  the personnel in
Lao PDR are very friendly and responded to email from me in quite a timely
manner.  For me, I would have had to travel to Laos, find a receptive hotel
or other site for ham radio, get that site's approval in writing, go to the
Lao radio regulators' offices to apply for a ham license at that location.
However, the usual Laos visa is for only 15 days, and the license
application process takes longer than that, at least in my experience.
Thus, one must depart Loas (or somehow get a longer term visa), wait for the
license approval, and then return for ham operations.  However, it is very
possible that the site one selects will not be approved, thus recycling the
whole process again.  This recycling could occur several times.
My advice at this time is to work Hiroo, who is now approved in Laos  for a
limited period.  73, Charly.... now HS0ZCW and VU3CHE