On Sat, 29 Sep 2001  "n3drk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> is there something out there that can teach me the basics propagation
> to the extent that it will be practical? I am not interested in
learning
> what each layer does and when the 80 mtr is open etc. But the more
> practical  side for my dxing....
>
> tnx

The ARRL Handbooks and Antenna Books are a good place to begin.
There are several dedicated books on propagation from the basic
to in depth.

Knowing what each layer does is pretty basic.
Without a better definition of what you want to know,
it is hard to be more specific.  Propagation is an
extremely complex issue, depending on sunspot activity,
season, time of day, and frequency.  As you learn more,
you will want to know about Long Path, Skew Paths,
and how ionosphere disturbances impact propagation.

The solution to any problem begins with a *complete and accurate*
description of the problem.  It would help to know what bands / modes
you are considering for starters.

Tom  N4KG