KB> I got this information also 2 days ago from our post office company but they
KB> could not tell me how long the old IRCs are valid. They thought it could be
KB> the same time as our old stamps are valid. Thats until 30. June 2002. I
KB> think we will get problems if some countries take different times until the
KB> old IRCs are worthless.

As all the costs of redeemed IRCs are in the end cleared through the
UPU (Universal Postal Union) in Switzerland, and their value is quoted in so-called
golden Swiss francs, I presume there's no need for an end date to
change "old" IRCs. Let's remember, even the actual IRC has changed its
appearance slightly about six or seven years ago (and more importantly
increased in versatility, as it allows for airmail postage now), and there
was no changeover date for previously issued coupons. Of course, it is
well known that in 1975 IRC had a very radical "facelift" and then old
coupons needed to be exchanged until a set date, but the situation now
probably isn't so drastic.

KB> But they told me that we can change old IRCs bought here in Austria (and
KB> stamped here) to the new ones for a longer time. I thought yesterday I
KB> should make a posting in some email groups to be careful if you want buy old
KB> IRCs now.

Basic problem with IRCs is that postal authorities are often not so
well informed about all the important details how to handle them
properly, producing a lot of misleading information which usually
spreads like brushfire :)

--

 Igor YT1MM                           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]