Steve,

Actually what you say is not completely true. As I recall both Ben and
Howie worked one or two FI8s. However, they were never able to obtain a QSL.

As many old timers will remember, FI activity post war was in the late
1940's and early 1950's.  ALL FI operations were illegal but ARRL accepted
them if you could obtain a QSL. In fact, FI was later put on the banned
list for USA stations to work in the mid-1950's.

Only 3 or 4 stations received FI8ZZ QSLs. A few got W8QOH/FI8 and a few got
FI3AG and FI8AT QSLs. Probably the best QSLer of the illegal FI operations
was Bill, W6ODD/FI8 (the same guy that did the only Diu/Damao operation),
the one that W1FH had confirmed. Bill supposedly sent out about 200 FI QSLs.

Eventually FI (French Indo China) broke into 3 new separate entities, Viet
Nam, Laos, and Cambodia. The first two came on in the late 1950's as 3W and
XW respectively (notably W3ZA/3W and XW8AI). I think the first Cambodian
operation accepted by ARRL was W9WNV/XU (1964 on my QSL). It wasn't until
the early 1970's that operations from Cambodia became more operational.

If the latest rumors about P5/4L4FN are true that he now has written
premission, and the ARRL accepts his operation, it will be a whole new ball
game.

73,

Joe, W1JR