Habbibas story.

Dear friends,
      IOTA expedition to Habbibas Island was canceled. I am
frustrated and it's big disappointment for me. We spent a lot of time with
preparations of this project. On the end of February we got licence from
Algerian PTT with special callsign 7W4HI and permission to transport two
transceivers to Habbibas Island. Everything was OK till Monday May 13,
2002. Group of operators was flying from Alger to Oran on Tuesday May 14,
at 08,00. Morning at 07,00 they received message that permission for
landing on island with equipment must give the Army, not PTT. They didn't
want to issue any permission.
All formal papers has to be arranged by local hams who were responsible for
this part of expedition, specially Afif 7X2RO, which has much time
(from june 2001) for realizing what is necessary for smooth running of this
expedition.
On the end of February Afif announce that everything is OK. Ivan OM3CGN bought
IC-706MK II and booked air tickets. (Thanks to God, I didn't get visa.
I saved my money). Ivan OM3CGN spent three years in Algeria so he knew
local people and local authoroties. For this reason he flew to Alger
a few days earlier, May 9,2002 to be sure that everything is OK.
The fact that he needs permission for landing on island from Army was given to
him the same day as departure of the plane.
Hrane YT1AD told "never more North Korea", I say "never more Algeria"

                                                                73! Steve, OM3JW