Apologies to Bernie W3UR and the Daily DX Bulletin but the following is
copied from today's edition (you really should subscribe if you are not):

----------------------
Reader K9KK, Rick, asks for an explanation of the difference between
deleting a DXCC entity and "removing" it.  I believe this comes up in
connection with the recent discussion of East Timor/Timor-Leste, the
operations during the "UNTAET" period and post-UNTAET period.  W3UR
says this has been asked a lot lately.  I'll try my best to explain
this, according to my understanding of it.  I do think it's kind of
hard to understand.  First, the way it used to be:  When a country
ceased to exist, it became a "deleted" country but still counted
toward your DXCC grand total of countries.  Hence, some old timers
have had 390 or so countries, though there currently are only 335
countries in existence.  When DXCC was revamped in 2000, that concept
was changed to this:  When a country ceases to exist it does not go
into you "deleted entities" list but is taken away from your all-time
total.  Hence, there will be no new "deleted" entities that count in
your total.  Bernie and I both prefer the old way.
--------------------

My comment is that I, and all DXers that I have discussed this with, also
agree that the old way is better. I do not see any logical reason to
"expunge" (hope the spelling is right) a credit that was earned by a DXer.
The only possible reason that I can even think of is so the "new guys",
whoever they are, can get at the top of the all time list without having to
work at it for years. Seems foolish to me to ignore the accomplishments of a
long time DXer and his high "all time count" when the previous "current
country count" is also available. Number 1 plaques are available as is top
of the honor roll listing for all "current" countries. Keep the all time
counts going.

Any chance that we can get the League to reverse this absurd position?

73, Bruce K1MY