For me this happens with self-created .desktop files in
~/.local/share/applications.

I have two files in there.

One was copied from the other, but both Name and and Icon in both are
different

When I now try to start the last created application, it shows the
correct icon, but the wrong application name. I have changed the file
gradually, so maybe the folder was indexed at a time when the Name was
wrong but the icon right (although I actually changed in the other order
as far as I remember, first Name and then Icon). Is there any way to
tell the Dash to re-scan the desktop files?

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

Title:
  Launcher gets confused about which icons relate to which applications

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Occasionally, I will click on the LibreOffice Calc icon on Launcher,
  and it activates the empathy chat window. I've attached a screenshot
  where you can see the context menu is clearly confused about which
  actions to show. I have been unable to determine what causes it to get
  into this state at this time.

  This is on 12.10, amd64.