I was not out to program anything the day I found out about this
problem.

I was writing a shell script just to get something displayed on screen
after a key press. I found out about notify-osd and used it, it took 5
seconds for me to figure out how to use it.

Then I realized that notifications were backlogged and I couldn't figure
out why. notify-send did not warn that the expiration timeouts were
being ignored.

If you call me a programmer just for writing a shell script I feel
disproportionately-honored.

It's just a shell script, that I spent two days trying to figure out
what was wrong and my time is valuable, there was no notice that an
option was being ignored.

My gripe is that it was being ignored and no warning was being printed
as it was. That will waste a lot of people's time, and cause a lot of
users to wonder who the bad programmer was to see a notification on
screen repeat for several minutes and no way to get rid of it.

My workaround for killing the backlog stack was:

#!/bin/bash
pkill notify-osd
notify-send "Current value is $VALUE"

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to notify-osd in Ubuntu.

Title:
  notifyOSD ignores the expire timeout parameter

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Invalid
Status in Message Web:
  New
Status in Notify OSD:
  Won't Fix
Status in “notify-osd” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: libnotify-bin

  adyroman@panther:~/libnotify-0.4.5/tools$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      9.04
  adyroman@panther:~/libnotify-0.4.5/tools$

  adyroman@panther:~/libnotify-0.4.5/tools$ apt-cache policy libnotify-bin
  libnotify-bin:
    Installed: 0.4.5-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 0.4.5-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 0.4.5-0ubuntu1 0
          500 http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
  adyroman@panther:~/libnotify-0.4.5/tools$

  adyroman@panther:~/libnotify-0.4.5/tools$ cat notify-send.c | grep
expire_timeout
        static glong expire_timeout = NOTIFY_EXPIRES_DEFAULT;
                { "expire-time", 't', 0,G_OPTION_ARG_INT, &expire_timeout,
        notify_notification_set_timeout(notify, expire_timeout);
  adyroman@panther:~/libnotify-0.4.5/tools$