That previous summary doesn't handle the two batteries charging, which
should be a common occurrence. Let's try that again:

* If the laptop has two or more DISCHARGING batteries (Rob's case), we
could use an average of their percentages and the maximum of their time-
remaining values.

* Otherwise, if the laptop has one DISCHARGING and one or more IDLE
batteries (Mathieu's case), we could use an average of their percentages
and the sum of time-remaining.

* Otherwise, if the laptop has one or more CHARGING or IDLE batteries,
we could use an average of their percentages and the maximum of the
CHARGING time-remaining values.

* Otherwise, if the laptop has both CHARGING and DISCHARGING batteries
at the same time... first off, I'm not sure this is a meaningful use
case? What icon would we use? :) We could use an average of the
batteries' percentages and either not report a time, or use the maximum
of the DISCHARGING time-remaining values.

* Otherwise, do not average batteries together in the header.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to indicator-power in Ubuntu.

Title:
  Power indicator does not combine multiple battery status

Status in The Power Indicator:
  Confirmed
Status in “indicator-power” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  I have an EliteBook 8540w with internal and external battery running Ubuntu
11.10 (oneiric).
  Linux #### 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:56:25 UTC 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  The power indicator (indicator-power, version 0.9-0ubuntu2) does not combine
the status of both batteries.
  E.g. if one battery still has 1 hour left, and the other has 2 hours left, it
will show 1:00 or 2:00, instead of 3:00.
  E.g. When the external battery is almost run out (but the internal one is
still charged), the indicator becomes red, instead of staying white/grey. It
should only be red when both batteries are almost drained.
  E.g. when the internal one is fully charged, and the external one is
discharging, the estimated time show is the estimated time that the external
one will be discharged, not taking into account the internal one. see attached
screenshot (total time show should be around 4 hours)

  The original applet provided by gnome (I re-enabled the notification
  area) does (still) have the behavior as I expect. In other words, this
  is a regression compared to 10.10 (pre-unity).