After talking to larsu and attente about it, sounds like what's
happening is that the keyboard accelerator being shown in indicator-
session is purely for display, it doesn't actually get wired up
anywhere. However, since that same keyboard accelerator is handled by
u-s-d to do the same thing that the menuitem says, it appears to the end
user to work.

In the guest session, then, pressing that key combo tries to lock the
screen instead of switch users. Since screen locking isn't allowed in
the guest session, the end result is that from the user's POV the key
combo didn't trigger anything at all. :)

We could remove the key combo in guest mode, or we could modify u-s-d to
change its behavior when we're in a guest session. Attente says that the
latter is fairly inexpensive to do, so adding also-affects u-s-d for him
to look into.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to indicator-session in Ubuntu.

Title:
  In Guest sessions, the "Switch User" menuitem's accelerator is shown
  but nothing happens when the key combo is pressed

Status in The Session Menu:
  Confirmed
Status in Unity Settings Daemon:
  New
Status in “indicator-session” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
    affects ubuntu/indicator-session
    status new

  When logged into the guest session, the "Lock" item in the indicator-session
  menu is replaced with "Switch User", but the keybinding is still listed as
  Ctrl+Alt+L. However, hitting Ctrl+Alt+L does not do anything.

  I'd suggest dropping the keybinding from that menu item, at least when it
reads
  "Switch User" in order to avoid confusion.

  --
  Kind regards,
  Loong Jin