Heureka! I found out which app(s) trigger this behaviour (so it might
not be a indicator-sound bug):

Starting skype with a LoginSound (this well known waking up sound) seems
to trigger exactly the described behaviour. The sound icon goes red and
stays red even if the sound already subsided...

Strangely JDownloader seems to have the same effect. Although this app
doesn't have sound at all it seems to do exactly the same. As far as I
was able to test it, it's the only Java application that does this

So this is something everyone should be able to reproduce, I'm pretty
sure this is something not specific on my system

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to indicator-sound in Ubuntu.

Title:
  ubuntu 14.04 - sound icon is always blocked

Status in “indicator-sound” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu 14.04

  Whenever the sound is muted the icon is red (so it seems to recognize
  blocked sound). However there is definitely nothing playing and also
  pavucontrol, shows that no sound is playing. So it seems to be a bug

  package: indicator-sound  12.10.2+14.04.20140401-0ubuntu1