Some more information for resolving this bug.

uname -a
Linux Troy 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of DX
Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

Title:
  Upgrade 12.04 LTS to 14.04LTS Beta 2 lost panel & launch

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Have used 14.04LTS Beta 2 for about a week, it was an in place
  upgrade, all seemed well.  However this morning starting the system I
  got the background but no panel and no launcher.  Right click on the
  screen gave the settings menu and all settings could be accessed, but
  still no launcher or panel.

   I downloaded 14.04LTS Beta2 and made a USB stick, did a complete
  install, formatting "/" but not the other paritions.  When restarted
  again no panel, no launcher but access to the settings menuis
  available.

  I used to be able to start terminal by using ctrl+alt+t, but that does
  not work anymore.

  ICannot access anything on the perfectly good screen.

  Shutting down by pressing the startup knob and then restarting
  provides the sam eproblem.