----- Original Message ----- > Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:27:47 +0100
> From: Carlos Ferreira - LA9PJA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
> Subject: [Dx4win] IrDA Standard infrared port  DELL XPi CD m 166ST
>
> Hello !
>
> I recently got a used Dell laptop Latitude XPi CD M166ST
> it's a great ting to have mobile and at home as well, but this one has
> only a serial (DTE) 9-pin connector, now I use it with DX4WIN and
connected
> to a radio, but would be nice to have some more serial ports 1 or 2
more...
> Besides the serial port, it also has 2 pc card connections (68 pins) 1
used
> with a internet/Fax gold card and 1 still avaiable, as far I know it's not
> possible ( no items avaiable ) to use this port to serial ?
>
> Also there is a INFRARED Port - 2 ports compatible with IrDA Standard 1.1
> (Fast IR)
>
> Does anyone know of any hardware avaiable, that I can use for Radio/TNC
> purposes ?
> I was at Dell homepage and red the history about infrared, and I didn't
get
> clever, hi... still searching for help online, and getting very usefull
info
> but maybe someone is sitting with the answer out there ?
>
> Is anybody known to the system ? can you help me, hav sugestions ? please
> send me a mail, I will ge very greatfull for any help.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Carlos Ferreira
> LA9PJA - JW9PJA

Carlos,  am not familiar with your Dell laptop, but I can tell you a few
things:

1. An IrDA port is like the wireless remote for your television.  It can be
used to connect the laptop to a desktop or printer, if they have the same
kind of port.  These devices are usually connected via a serial port, so
uses one up.  They can usually be disabled if you need to use the serial
port.

2. An inexpensive way to get more serial ports is to use a USB to serial
converter cable.  They cost about $20 US.  I am using one on my laptop to
give me another serial port.

Hope that helps,  John, K2CIB